In a newly created role we are on the hunt for an experienced DevOps engineer to join our team. We work on a modern, streaming stack backed by Kafka and Elasticsearch with Python microservices using Docker, Kubernetes and Helm to deploy.
We fetch event and entity data from a number of sources (entities include things like venues, sports teams, musicians and more) and publish the data to our processing pipelines. Each step in the pipelines do a specific task like standardising, filtering for things like spam, deduplicating, geocoding the data and filling in missing information. Data quality is of the utmost importance. You may not have experience with all of the technologies mentioned above so our dev team will help and support you to bring you up to speed.
The engineering team has been handling the DevOps which can eat a lot of time so we’re looking for someone who can do the heavy lifting. We believe it’s important for the engineers to know the inner workings of the technologies we use (which is why we prefer to avoid AWS products and instead run infrastructure on EC2) so we’re not looking for someone to shield the engineers from infrastructure and need to make sure engineers are still actively involved in DevOps. We’re looking for someone who can recommend technologies, upskill engineers, keep systems updated, improve monitoring, recommend good practices and more. The DevOps engineer will also be involved in backend engineering projects.
As well as the data processing pipelines, we have a number of other projects and some big plans in our roadmap. This is not a role for the faint hearted, it is challenging, complex and requires innovative thinking.
You will be working within a business that is focused on a shared vision of growing globally and continuing to deliver a unique platform across a diversified set of customers. This role will be immensely rewarding and you will be working alongside an experienced and passionate team who have been involved in starting up businesses that now employ hundreds of staff across the world.
The team is growing fast and we’re moving to our new office by Britomart early March!
Key Tasks and Expected Results
- Be a part of the Engineering team and work closely with the Product and Data teams.
- Recommend solutions for low-latency, high-availability, reactive and performant systems.
- Be the point person for infrastructure and DevOps.
- Take ownership of system security and best practice.
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code for the API and other backend systems.
- Constantly refactor existing code (your own and others’).
- Optimise the performance of the API and other backend systems.
- Design and implement test scenarios based on live usage, metrics and error logs.
- Create technical documentation to show developers how to implement specific solutions.
- Create sample applications, use case workflows, code snippets, Step-By-Step guides for consuming APIs.
- Report to the CTO and work closely with the Chief Product Officer to deliver priority projects.
- Actively participate in overall design, decision making, problem solving and innovation.
Skills, Knowledge and Competencies
- Ability to complete projects from start to finish.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind scalable applications.
- An interest in, and understanding of the “reactive manifesto”.
- Proven DevOps experience is required.
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch and Kafka.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience with Helm is a plus.
- Experience with Prometheus and Grafana is a plus.
- Experience in Python is a plus.
- Experience or familiarity with message-based microservices is a plus.
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments (e.g., OAuth 2.0).
- Ability to understand business rules and apply them to code.
- Strong testing and debugging skills.
- Understanding or familiarity with functional programming.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools (Git preferred).
- Knowledge and experience with System Administration / DevOps is a plus.
- Able to take initiative.
- Tactful and mature.
- Aptitude for research and learning new things.
- Good organisational skills.
- Strong communication and team participation skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Health insurance.
- 3% KiwiSaver employer contribution (for those eligible).
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Pick your own laptop.
- Casual dress code.
- Collaboration friendly office.